He moved to Maine in 1983, when he accepted a position in the Planning Department at Bath Iron Works, in Bath, Maine where he held numerous Senior Management positions including Director of Engineering Planning & Life Cycle Support and Director of Production Control prior to his retirement in January 2005. Don was recognized by both BIW and NAVSEA for his efforts in support of Navy Shipbuilding when he was awarded an Aegis Excellence Award during the Cruiser Program and received the first Arleigh Burke baseball bat from the CO of the Arleigh Burke. He and his wife Sue Spann opened RE/MAX Riverside Real Estate Company in Topsham, Maine in 2002. Mr. Spann received his Real Estate License in 2003, subsequently joining RE/MAX full time as a licensed Commercial Realtor in 2005 when he formed their commercial real estate division.
Don Spann has always been very active in the Community, and has been Chairman of both Topsham’s Planning Board and Topsham Development INC. (TDI) for several years now. He is also currently a member of the DAC, Design Advisory Committee for the new bridge appointed by Topsham’s Board of Selectmen and represents Maine RE/MAX Broker Owners on the REMAX of New England Executive Council. Don has also provided several years of leadership and service on each of the following boards and committees, among others;
– Chairman, Board of Directors, and Executive Committee of the Southern MidCoast Chamber of Commerce.
– President, Treasurer of St. John’s Boosters
– Vice Chair, Member of St. John’s School Board
– Topsham Finance Committee Member
– United Way of Midcoast Maine, Board of Directors and Executive Committee
– BBBS Board of Directors, Vice Chair, Advisory Council
– St. John’s Blue Ribbon Committee
– Committee Chair, BSA Troop 646 in Topsham
– Member of Rotary International/Paul Harris Fellow
– Corporator, Mid Coast Health Services
– Salvation Army Bell Ringer